There has been a place of Christian worship in Melverley for about a 1000 years. In late Saxon times there was a small hermitage in Melverley on the river bank by the ancient trackway near the crossings of the Rivers Vyrnwy and Severn.

In 1401 the original wooden chapel was burnt down by the Welsh chieftain Owen Glyndwr. The present church was built in 1406, and is made of local Melverley oak.

Melverley Church is a rare example of timber, wattle and daub construction. The white sections are narrower than the timbers, which is a sign of an early timber building. The entire structure is held together with wooden pegs, and no nails have been used.

The two yew trees in the churchyard are estimated to be between 380 and 450 years old, so were planted many years after the church was built. A third yew has been planted in the new churchyard to celebrate the Millenium, and is a cutting from an ancient yew (at least 2000 years old).

The church serves a scattered parish of just 55 houses but regular services are held here on Sundays.